New York City School Construction Authority — New Schools and Additions (Prequalified)
- PS-44R Annex
- PS-230Q Annex
- All City Leadership Secondary School, Brooklyn
- Battery Park City School (PS-276M)
- High School for Architectural & Urban Planning
- High School, 7 Beaver Street, Manhattan
- IS/HS-572M Community Health Academy of the Heights
- Jonas Bronk Academy (IS-228X), Fordham Place, Bronx
- Metropolitan Avenue Schools —
(PS/IS-110, PS/IS-167, High School of Global Communication)
- Middle College High School, Long Island City
- New Settlement Campus High School and Community Center
- New Skillman Avenue High School
- Urban Assembly School of Business for Young Women
New York City School Construction Authority — Classroom Acoustics Standard · Developed quantitative guidelines for use by new school A/E teams to optimize the acoustics of classrooms:
- Researched the state-of-the-art on classroom spaces for good hearing.
- Established goals for background sound level and appropriate reverberation.
- Provided ways of meeting the goals.
New York City Green Schools Guide · Prepared acoustical requirements and credits for instructional spaces including:
- Reverberation limits for speech intelligibility.
- Constructions and performance for both interior and exterior sound isolation.
- HVAC noise levels.
Developed architectural acoustics design requirements to parallel the Green Guide requirements.
Harlem Children’s Zone — Promise Academy Charter School · This charter school is being designed by OAA to meet the acoustical requirements of:
- LEED for Schools 2009.
- ANSI S12.60 Acoustical Performance Criteria, Design Requirements, and Guidelines for Schools.
- The New York City Noise Code.
- Good acoustical design for educational environments.
New Jersey School Construction Corporation Projects (Prequalified)
- New Performing Arts High School, Elizabeth
- New Auditorium Campus High School, E. Orange
- New Elementary School, Long Branch
- New High School, Harrison
- New Elementary School #2, Union City
- New Lanning Square Elementary School, Camden
- New Bangs Avenue ES, Asbury Park
- New Science Park High School, Newark
- New First Avenue Elementary School, Newark
- Marshall Hazel Elementary School, Paterson
- New Elementary School/Gorney Site, Paterson
- Harp Academy, Paterson
- Hernandez, Elementary School, Newark
- Victor Mravlag Elementary School #21, Elizabeth
- Control of cooling tower and emergency generator sound to meet the NJ Noise Code.
- Design of quiet HVAC systems for multi-use assembly spaces.
- Control of reverberation for multi-use assembly spaces.
- Sound isolation of music department.
- Sound system designs for the auditorium, gymnasium, and music classroom.
New Gymnasium, Toms River High School North, New Jersey · Assisted the architect with integrating needed reverberation control measures to control crowd noise and allow intelligible sound for this new 3,500-seat gymnasium. Design of sound system and HVAC system noise control measures.
Intermediate School South, Toms River, New Jersey
- Room Acoustics, sound isolating construction, and HVAC noise control for cafetorium, gymnasium, media center, music suite, and classrooms.
- Sound system designs for cafetorium, gymnasium, and media center.
Summit Speech School, New Providence, New Jersey · This school presented an acoustical design challenge because it serves hearing impaired children who are taught orally and need a very quiet and reverberation free environment. Since OAA staff is knowledgeable concerning these special learning problems, OAA was selected to provide comprehensive services. Analyses were conducted to identify: needed acoustical finishes; sound isolating constructions; and, HVAC noise and vibration control measures.
New Performing Arts Center Auditorium, Monmouth Regional High School, Tinton Falls, NJ · New 650-seat multipurpose auditorium to serve school and community:
- Room acoustics to allow lectures without using the sound system.
- Special sound isolation including floating floor for nearby M.E.R.
- Sound and communications systems including hearing assist for hearing impaired.
- Acoustical design of room shaping and noise control for HVAC.
New Auditorium, Middle/High School, East Bloomfield, New York · Assisted the A/E team with all acoustical aspects of new auditorium including:
- Room shaping for better diffusion for musical acoustics.
- Design of sound and communications systems including a central loudspeaker cluster.
- Control of HVAC system noise to maximize audibility.
Auditorium Renovation, Teaneck High School, Teaneck, New Jersey · OAA evaluated this historic 1000-seat auditorium to determine needed measures to assure excellent acoustics following renovation. Recommendations were provided to the architects based on acoustical measurements of reverberation and mechanical noise.
Auditorium Renovation, East Rochester High School, East Rochester, New York · Developed the program, designed, and specified a new sound reinforcement system with a state-of-the art digital control console. A communication system was designed to provide communication for the stage manager, lighting, and sound control positions during productions.
Auditorium Renovation, West Orange High School, New Jersey · Complete interior gutting and reconstruction of 1960 vintage high school auditorium:
- Sound system design.
- HVAC system noise control.
- Shaping of new room walls, ceiling clouds.
- Setting criteria and evaluating tradeoffs.
Additional School Auditorium Projects:
- Bayport Blue Point High School, Bayport, NY
- Bellport Middle School, Bellport, NY
- Campus High School, East Orange, NJ
- Delaware Valley MS/HS, Pike County, PA
- Dingman Delaware MS, Pike County, PA
- High School, Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
- High School 95X, Bronx, NY
- Marlboro Middle School, Marlboro, NJ
- Monroe High School, Monroe Township, NJ
- N. Hunterdon High School, Hunterdon County, NJ
- Northampton Middle School, Northampton, PA
- Public School 107Q Auditorium, Flushing, NY
- Pottsgrove High School, Pottstown, PA
- River Dell High School, Oradell, NJ
- Roslyn High School, Roslyn Heights, NY
- William Floyd U.F.S.D., Brookhaven, NY
Additional Music Department Projects:
- Cranbury School, Cranbury, NJ
- Four Schools, Hopewell, NJ
- Hebrew Academy of the Five Towns, Cedarhurst, NY
- Churchill Junior HS, E. Brunswick, NJ
- Elementary School, Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ
- Middle School, Howell, NJ
- Longwood Junior High School, Middle Island, NY
- N. Hunterdon High School, Hunterdon County, NJ
- Great Valley High School, Chester County, PA
- Mountain Lakes High School, Mountain Lakes, NJ
Gymnasium Correction, Shongum School, Randolph, New Jersey · Instructors and the public complained of excessive noise. Field measurements were made to document the degree to which reverberation was excessive. OAA modeled the space, calculated the effect of various candidate methods for introducing needed sound absorption, and provided alternative solutions.
Additional Gymnasium Correction Projects:
- Breathitt County High School Coliseum, Jackson, Kentucky
- Pemberton Township High School, Pemberton, New Jersey
- Southampton Middle School, Vincentown, New Jersey
Correction of Reverberant Spaces, New Elementary School, Middletown, New York · Assisted owner and legal team with options for dealing with unacceptably high activity noise levels in assembly spaces in recently completed school:
- Measured occupational noise exposure of gym teachers and lunch monitors.
- Identified options for supplemental finishes to control internal noise buildup.
Aircraft Noise Abatement, Hebrew Academy of the Five Towns, Cedarhurst, New York · Assisted the A/E team with design of façade elements of existing school to control aircraft noise intrusion from JFK Airport flight operations:
- Measured representative aircraft events.
- Determined quantitative reductions needed to achieve interior quiet.
- Identified window and façade constructions consistent with acoustical objectives.
- Worked with the A/E team on the details of implementation.
- Provide post-construction acoustical measurements.
Additional School Aircraft Noise Abatement Projects:
- H. P. Becton High School, East Rutherford, NJ
- East Side High School, Newark, NJ
- Harrison High School, Harrison, NJ
- Franklin Street School, Kearny, NJ
- Jackson Avenue School, Hackensack, NJ
- John Bowne High School, Flushing, NY
- Kearny High School, Kearny, NJ
- Lawrence School No. 5, Cedarhurst, NY
- Lawrence Middle School, Cedarhurst, NY
- Lawrence High School, Lawrence, NY
- Lincoln School, Kearny, NJ
- Memorial School, South Hackensack, NJ
- Middle School 198, Averne, NY
- Our Lady of Fatima School, Jackson Heights, NY
- Port Morris School (PS-5X), Bronx, NY
- Samuel Gompers Vocational & Tech. H.S., Bronx, NY
- St. Rose of Lima School, Rockaway Beach, NY
- Sylvan Elementary School, Rutherford, NJ